I.S. Anderson's Reviews > A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Sep 06, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: Fans of the series
Read from August 19 to September 06, 2012, read count: 1

The song of Ice and Fire continues to play as the conflict through Westeros takes a major turn. Stanis Baratheon regroups his forces and heads north to help the nights watch defend the wall. His actions seem like that of a trustworthy king until he starts making demands of the nights watch. The Lanisters feel as if they have the war well in hand as they prepare for Jofferey's wedding, until tragedy teaches them otherwise. Across the sea, Princess Daneareys has accumulated and army, and has now started gaining a reputation as a conquering queen.

It's strange doing a review of the third book in a series, especially when a reader will have to be pretty invested in the series to come this far. If you have read the first two then you definitely need to read this one. Storm of Swords is much better than Clash of Kings in my opinion. Much more gets done, the story makes a much larger leap forward, and we get answers to questions that were raised in Game of Thrones.

Spoiler Section:

I know I don't usually do this, but I had an urge to do one this time. If you have not read the book yet, don't read this section. I will be giving away too much. If you have, feel free to read and comment on this section.

I guess the first thing to bring up are the deaths. Rob and Catelyn? Geez Martin what are you doing? I may not like his style, but he does have balls I'll give him that. Then we move onto Jofferey's death. In my opinion is was not satisfying enough. Perhaps no death would have been enough for him but at least make him cry like the little bitch he is before he get's offed. I wanted to see him cry and bleed before he died. Poison is just too clean. Oh well, ding dong the little bitch is dead!

Well, as always I have to do a monologue about my favorite character: Princess Daneareys. Damn that was satisfying when she smacked the slave master with the whip. I am longing for the day she starts riding her dragons and causing some real havoc. To me she seems to be the only one who really should be sitting on the iron throne. She knows that ruling is a responsibility. Her decision at the end to stay in her newly conquered city and rule for a few years shows patience and wisdom well beyond her years. I would be very happy if she did come over to Westeros and conquered them. That seems to be the kick in the pants the realm needs.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm of Swords.