Jessica's Reviews > American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History

American Sniper by Chris Kyle

Aug 19, 2012

This is a book written by a Navy SEAL Sniper, not a professional author. Yes, he did get some help, but it's ultimately his tale. Could it have been written better? I don't know, maybe, but I think it would have made the book feel more like a "story", and less like an account of his experiences. Personally, I loved this book. There is no sugar coating, no PC koombyah. This is an account of war, and it seems pretty realistic and gritty. I don't feel like the author was grandstanding or bragging, as I've read some feel in other reviews I've read. I think he comes off as a pretty humble guy who just happens to have the talent to be a great warrior, and he's honest about it. What's wrong with that? It's not like he's telling you over and over how awesome he is because he wants your accolaides. Mr. Kyle writes in the beginning of his book that he chose to write it because it had come to his attention that others wanted to tell his story, an he figured he'd better tell it himself. I'm so grateful that he did. I laughed, I cried, and I couldn't put the book down. This is a book about a real honest-to-God hero, written by the hero himself. He's not perfect, he's no saint, but he's no doubt a hero. Do yourself a favor and check this book out, then share it with your friends.

I'm adding this little note on 2/3/13...RIP Chris Kyle. Thank you for your service to this country, and thank you for all the charity work you've done in service to your fellow veterans. God Bless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Sniper.

01/29 marked as: read

Nate I agree with your review 100%! People need to quit bashing on how it was written because after all he wasn't an author. He was just a man with a story and he wanted to share it. Personally i think its a great read and does a very exquisite job at sharing real life situations and battles he fought through not just at war but back home as well!