Kathy's Reviews > The Demon's Covenant

The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan

Aug 19, 12

bookshelves: read-in-august
Read in August, 2012

This series was great to start with, and it just keeps getting better; enough so that I kind of want to go back and raise my rating of DEMON'S LEXICON to 5 stars, because the more I think about it, the better I like it. But anyway, DEMON'S COVENANT...

This book follows Mae, and her concerns about Jamie, and his troubles with magicians. It starts a little slowly, because she has decided to get over Nick and Alan by getting involved with a "normal" boy, Zeb, who is an artist, as well as Mae's favorite kind of "bad boy". But things pick up pretty quickly when Mae realizes that Jamie has taken up with Gerald, the leader of the Obsidan Circle that helped create and tried to destroy Nick. Of course, Mae has to call on the brothers for help. But it's only partly about Mae trying to decide which of the atractive young men around her she really wants. It is more about Mae's concern for her brother, and her desire to make her own way forward in the world, without having to depend on anyone else, even though she is always willing to work with others to achieve her goals.

And it's also about Alan, and how his lies are never what they seem to be.

I especially liked Mae's friendship with Sin, and the way that consipring circumstances changed it, but did not destroy it. And Jamie and Mae's mother! What a revelation! To say more would be a spoiler, but, wow. Read it, read it, read it!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon's Covenant.