Indie Reviews's Reviews > Special Forces - Soldiers

Special Forces - Soldiers by Aleksandr Voinov

Aug 26, 12

bookshelves: indie-reviews, erotica, fiction, lgbt, historical, military
Read in September, 2008

It took me a little over a month to read Cycle I of Special Forces entitled Soldiers (1980-1989), by co-authors Marquesate and Aleksandr Voinov (writing as Vashtan), all nineteen chapters and almost five hundred pages. I read Soldiers very slowly. It is anything but a light read so I managed a couple of chapters at a time and then had to stop reading and think about things.

Special Forces: Soldiers (1980-1989) is not gay romance or erotica, but it is a story of love, hate, violence, revenge, devotion, friendship and loyalty between Dan McFadyen an officer in the British Special Forces (SAS) and Vadim Krasnorada a Spetsnaz (Special Forces) officer of the Soviet Red Army. The backdrop of this story is the Soviet invasion and subsequent occupation of Afghanistan in 1979, the USSR's eventual withdrawal from Afghanistan and events beyond.

It is against the historical backdrop of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan that Dan and Vadim meet in country in August 1980. They are enemies. Dan is in Afghanistan to train the mujahedeen in guerrilla warfare and Vadim is there to kill as many "holy warriors" as possible and ensure the survival of Afghan communism. Dan is doing recon one night and stumbles upon a drunk Vadim and his comrade-in-arms Vanya. Vadim is a habitual rapist. He overpowers Dan and rapes him. Vadim leaves his friend Vanya to have his turn with Dan. Dan overpowers Vanya and slices his throat. Dan then vows revenge - to kill Vadim.

This is how Dan and Vadim first meet. Through an incredible sequence of events and actions, Dan and Vadim become entwined. Their relationship, which spans almost a decade in Soldiers, is borne of brutal violence, hatred and revenge, then is transformed through need and growing respect, and ultimately through friendship, loyalty, devotion and love.

Voinov and Marquesate have created two utterly unforgettable characters and have written a truly unforgettable story. If you can handle extreme violence, are a lover of political and military fiction and looking to read an incredible love story then Special Forces: Soldiers is a definite must read.

This review of Special Forces: Soldiers by Marquesate and Aleksandr Voinov was originally written in September 2008 and is based on the free online version available at Marquesate's site. A free online director's cut version of Special Forces: Soldiers is also available at Aleksandr Voinov's site.

The complete review of Special Forces: Soldiers (1980-1989) is available at Indie Reviews.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Special Forces - Soldiers.

Steve This review nails it. Special Forces is a very special piece of work.

Indie Reviews Hi Steve,

Thanks for the like and comment, much appreciated. I agree this work is very special.

message 3: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Maybe link to where I have it online and mention my name. :) "Vashtan" won't get people anywhere...

Indie Reviews Aleksandr wrote: "Maybe link to where I have it online and mention my name. :) "Vashtan" won't get people anywhere..."

Oh shoot! Completely slipped my mind. Will make the change. Thanks for the reminder.

message 5: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Thank you! :) (Hate to be a pest. :) )

Indie Reviews Aleksandr wrote: "Thank you! :) (Hate to be a pest. :) )"

No worries - done!

message 7: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Great review--have read entire series twice and enjoyed it even more the second time--

message 8: by Indie Reviews (last edited Aug 26, 2012 08:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Indie Reviews Hi Joy,

Steve Indie Reviews wrote: "Hi Joy,

Thanks for your comment! I've re-read Soldiers but never all three cycles. Though I've recently been thinking of doing so."

Indie Reviews Better get going on it - also read the series twice and I can't imagine stopping after Soldiers. Brilliant examination of PTSD, maturing relationships, and overall great storytelling. We await another review!

Yep, gotta get going on a re-read for sure and this go around I will review Mercs and Vets. Thanks again for your comments Steve.