Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews)'s Reviews > Allanon's Quest

Allanon's Quest by Terry Brooks

Aug 24, 12

bookshelves: arc, fantasy, netgalley-arc, short-stories, 2012-reviews, 2012-reads, reviewed
Read on August 19, 2012

Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

I admit it. I'm a Shannara fan, for all its blatant borrowing from The Lord of the Rings, for all its cliched and predictable plotlines, I can usually find a lot to enjoy in Terry Brook's fertile imagination. I've read more than my far share of the Shannara series in all its spin-offs and sideways travels, and though it's far from great literature, or even great fantasy, this short ebook reminds me of why I had such fondness for this author, and this widepsread world he has so lovingly created.

Though obviously this falls far short from my all-time Shannara favorites (those would be The Elfstones of Shannara [I was actually scared by one of the 'demon' antagonists in this - the Changeling - so much so I had to stop reading it at night haha], the Wishsong of Shannara [Garet Jax is and forever will be one of the most badass fantasy characters] and the Elf-Queen of Shannara [Garth!]), this forty-page journey with series staple Allanon is short, simple, and easy to digest. More of a bite-size snack rather than a full meal, but still Paladins of Shannara manages to bring back the full Shannara nostalgia. Fans of the series and books before will eat it up -- and appreciate the sneak peek into the next in this farspread, always expanding series, Wards of Faerie -- but, it's not the best place to start reading for any reader not familiar with the well-worn tales that Brooks has published. It's heavy on the history and mythology we all know so well from The Sword of Shannara on, with a lot of explanation and exposition to remind readers of what has come before, but is later in the chronology.

Though a bit thin on plot and filled with repetition, this is a diverting and engaging read for fans of Terry Brooks and his beloved, familiar characters. Anyone ever curious about how Gandalf Allanon was sent on the path to find Shea Ohmsford and stop the Warlock Lord for good will find just that in this quickly read and enjoyed novella. And now I want to go reread all my old favorites and prep myself for the release of the next book in this long-running series. While the novels can be a bit formulaic in their plots, it's the characters (Morgan Leah, Quentin Leah, Wren, Garet Jax, Garth, Eventine Elessedil) that I remember most and keep me coming back for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allanon's Quest.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Casper I just want to say that only the first one, the Sword of Shannara borrowed from LOTR and is cliched.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) I'm aware. I say that in the first paragraphs here. I still had fun with the first book - a lot of fantasy borrows from LOTR.