Jessica Stanley's Reviews > Veil of Pearls

12027942
Aug 19, 12

bookshelves: loved-it
Read in August, 2012

MaryLu Tyndall has written 10 wonderful seafairing adventures over the last several years & her 11th "Veil Of Pearls" is by far her best work to date! There is not one bad thing that can be said about this book.... (but who am I kidding, there never is when u read one written by MaryLu Tyndall...lol!). "Veil Of Pearls" is the story of a beautiful runaway slave named Adalia. Trying to escape her past & the abuse she has suffered, Adalia leaves her home in Barbados & boards a ship bound for Charleston. Tho she is a negro, Adalia is so light skinned she secures herself employment without question & is able to put her past behind her to begin a new life. Along the way she meets the younger son of one of Charleston's most prominent families & is swept into a world of which she never dreamed. While trying to keep her identity a secret Adalia struggles with many different emotions, feelings, & human weaknesses which really endeared this character to me more than any other one MaryLu has written (including Hope, from her book "The Blue Enchantress", who, till now, has always been my favorite). Beautifully written, this story will cause you to feel many different emotion, you will laugh & cry, as well as enjoy an adventure on the high seas (I mean who doesnt enjoy a good sea batttle?). Truly, throughout the entire book I felt as if I could be Adalia, at so many different points in the story; like her struggles with keeping God as a prority even when things in life seem to be going great! Ms. Tyndall has such a talent for writing tales such as this, & reaching the heart, that I never want one of her books to end! (& believe me I have read them ALL!) If you want to enjoy a wonderful tale of adventure, love, & human growth then this book is right up your alley! I promise you will not be dissappointed!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veil of Pearls.