Ru's Reviews > At the Mountains of Madness

At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft

Aug 20, 2012

Read from August 19 to 20, 2012

Classic sci-fi/horror, whose influence can directly be seen in "The Thing" movies, "Prometheus", and even "Alien vs. Predator", and likely many others. Lovecraft has such a way with words and is so descriptive, the reader is never left lacking a description of a single setting. If there is perhaps one thing missing in this tale of dread, it's character development; however, it's one of the few stories that actually needs it. The characters in the book are almost secondary to the plot and the realm that it takes place in. The Antarctic is the protagonist, in a sense, & that's plenty good enough.

The closing pages did leave me with some measure of chills, but I could be alone in that respect; I like the uncertainty of an ending rather than complete closure. Looping back to the films I mentioned, it also did draw some comparisons to memorable moments from them, and that only served to make this book more enjoyable for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At the Mountains of Madness.