Chuck Engelhardt's Reviews > The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith

The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller

Aug 20, 12

Read from August 19 to 20, 2012

The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller is a very quick read and well worth the time. I was a little underwhelmed because of the build up surrounding it as being a new and fresh look at the parable. My wife and I have had the privilege of being under excellent Bible teaching over the years. I remember being at a Promise Keepers gathering on the Mall in Washington, DC and watching the crowd be in awe of the speakers and teaching that was taking place and thinking to myself, “This is what I hear every week.” That’s what I felt about this book. I kept looking for something new and didn’t find it. Apparently others do and I rejoice in that. I was also bothered by what I perceived to be a technical contradiction. Although it doesn’t take away from the main point, Keller so emphasized it in the narrative that I was distracted and my enjoyment diminished.

With that aside, the message is still an important and powerful one. Keller did connect some dots from the parable to society as a whole that I found enlightening and valuable in understanding challenges to unity in the church. I was also convicted of some attitudes I harbor and came away with a greater understanding of people, not just the parable.

I am torn on my rating because it is a strong message that so many of us need to hear, and I want to recommend it highly. At the same time, my enjoyment of the book was hampered by overstated expectations and I do not wish to contribute to that for another reader.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prodigal God.