Hex's Reviews > Annie on My Mind

Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden

Aug 19, 12

bookshelves: modern, realistic, lgbt-characters, young-adult

Annie On My Mind was one of the first young adult books that focused on LGBT themes. It was published and takes place in 1982, and focuses on two girls, Liza and Annie. Liza meets Annie at Metropolitan Museum of Art, and they can't get each other out of their heads.

The pair start to bond, and what could start out as a friendship, they realise is romantic, which leads to the pair of them thinking about and realising their sexuality. Except...that Liza's school finds out about them. This leads to a dramatic example of eighties homophobia, where two teachers from the school are outed and fired, and Liza comes thisclose to being expelled from school.

In a lot of ways it reminded me of a younger, later, happier ended Spring Fire. That seems like an amazing thing to say, but as the characters go through troubles it still has a happy ending.

For someone living in 2012, the book is formulaic, you have a good idea of what is going to happen, especially if you're familiar with LGBT fiction in general. The characters also have a tendency to come across as younger than they actually are. The pop culture references are dated, but so is the book. It seems amazing in 2012 that this book is still challenged in some places, but you can understand that it was groundbreaking when it was published. Still, growing up in the small town where I did, reading it as a teen it felt very realistic and not that out of time or exaggerated.

A good read for people studying banned/challenged/burned books, history of LGBT books, and the like.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annie on My Mind.