Jenger's Reviews > Maisie Dobbs

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

Dec 07, 08

** spoiler alert ** I wasn't sure if I actually liked this book as I was reading it. It was a bit tedious and I even thought I might not even bother finishing it, which is rare for me, but once I did finish it and got some distance I realized that I actually did enjoy the book and would even be interested in reading the next in the series.

Through flashbacks, this book mainly focused on the back story of Maisie Dobbs and how she came to begin her private invenstigator business while the actual "current" mystery is almost secondary yet loosely connected to events that happened in her past.

I really enjoyed the historical aspect of the story which included a good deal about Great Britain's involvement in WWI. I found that to be quite enlightening but disturbing, too. It was a better history lesson than I ever received in school.

The book is extremely well-written and you feel as if you're actually experiencing it along with Maisie. It's definitely not an uplifting story and the ending is quite sad but it leaves you hoping for better for Maisie in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maisie Dobbs.