Abby's Reviews > Big Fish

Big Fish by Daniel Wallace

Dec 07, 08

bookshelves: to-read

I think the guy who plays the main character in this movie is attractive, but I forgot his name. If that's not a good reason to read the book, then I don't know what is.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Fish.

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Is it Ewan McGregor? I think it is, but I can't remember. Ewan McGregor is super hot in Moulin Rouge.

message 2: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Yes! That's his name. I just couldn't think of it. He is super hot in Moulin Rouge, too.

message 3: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby PS. "Ewan" is a weird name for a hot guy. Maybe his parents expected him to turn out very nerdy, but he surprised them.

message 4: by Danae (new)

Danae He's Irish. They have a whole different standard of weird names. Also, random "Big Fish" fact--the old guy in the movie, Albert Finney, is Daddy Warbucks in Annie. Ha--didn't see that coming, did you?

message 5: by Danielle (new)

Danielle In case you were wondering, Abby, Danae is frighteningly knowledgeable when it comes to random actor trivia. She would be killer at the six degrees of Kevin Bacon. One of our family's favorite games is trying to stump Danae on naming actors. So, Danae, I'm not surprised you knew that Daddy Warbucks was that guy...and also that you knew his real name is Albert Finney. That is pretty funny, though.
PS- Welch names are weirder than Irish. They shun vowels.

message 6: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Ah, which reminds me, you are both in the market for baby names, and you're both having girls. You should compare notes.

message 7: by Abby (last edited Dec 09, 2008 10:50AM) (new) - added it

Abby So far we are thinking Anna Sophia. We also might give her a last name, too. Hansen would probably good, since that's my husband's and my name.

Anna, because I like that name. Sophia is the name of my husband's great grandma who joined the church in Sweden, then came to America all by herself. She crossed the plains as a pioneer, got married, had nine kids. She was really religious. She got sick in the temple one day and came home to die like a week later. I think most of those details are right. Anna Sophia seems to go together well.

If anyone feels like voting yes or no on that name, Anna Sophia Hansen, they can vote now, or mail in an absentee ballot (plus $5 voting fee).

You know the teenage girl in my ward who sits by me in church and drives me near insane on a regular basis? I think I mentioned that she tells everyone she is my sister, and that Benjamin is her nephew, right? She keeps announcing to people that she is going to have a new niece soon (k, whatever!), and regularly tickles my stomach with both hands. It's like these creepy little annoying fingers that are crawling all over my stomach, repeatedly and without warning, during Sacrament Meeting. I have to fight the urge each time not to slap her away. I know that we've discussed before that I am not heaven worthy for my absolute disregard for my duty as a grown up to be kind to this girl who comes from an inactive and inattentive family, but I just can't stand her 90% of the time. Especially when I'm pregnant, and she's making my two year old throw a tantrum because she's "reading" his Elmo book and won't give it back to him.

So anyways, she keeps asking me, "Have you thought of a name for my little niece yet?", and I keep lying to her and saying, "Nope, not yet." Not because we haven't seriously considered the name Anna Sophia, but because I just don't want to tell her. I tell everyone else that's the name we're thinking of. But I just get irritated thinking about her telling everyone that she is having a niece named Anna, and that she will then start tickling my stomach and saying, "Hi Anna! This is your aunt Tasha! I am your official babysitter!!" (By the way, for being our "official babysitter, she has babysat a surprisingly low amount of times - zero. Because I would feel more comfortable leaving my child with a raging rabbit (that's a funny joke for my sister) than with her.

So is it weird that I am so freakily guarded about telling the name of my unborn child to a 17 year old girl, like it's top secret? But I swear, the child will be six months old before I admit that I've picked a name to her.

Someone psychoanalyze me.

message 8: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby PS. I want to add that with the teenager in my ward who drives me crazy, I am not actually ever mean TO her. I just think lots of mad thoughts in my head and tell them to my husband when I get home. Sometimes I shake with irritation and complete amazement at her, which has GOT to show on my face, but she never has shown one iota of recognition.

As far as she is concerned, we are BFFs.

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle I love Anna Sophia. That's darling. But saying the name Anna Hansen is kind of a tongue-twister. Just a thought.
If you're not going to heaven for not REALLY being her BFF, at least you're not going to hell for being a jerk to her. Looks like you're going to end up in limbo.

message 10: by Danae (new)

Danae Anna Sophia is really cute. There is an actress named Anna Sophia Robb--she was in The Bridge to Tarabithia and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the Johnny Depp version), if anyone cares.
I don't do well with overly-friendly teenagers, so you're doing better than me. And even if I have a name picked, my answer to pretty much everyone is, "Um...nope, not yet." It's hard to criticize after the baby is named, but if you tell them ahead of time, everybody has an opinion.
Anyway, you're ahead of me. At this point there is a good chance my child will be named "Hey, you!" because I had a big list and then decided I hate all of the names on it. Not good. If you have any other inspiration, let me know!

message 11: by Danielle (last edited Dec 09, 2008 02:51PM) (new)

Danielle What about Lillianna? It's so cute!

message 12: by Danae (new)

Danae Yea, but I'd call her Lily, and "Lily" and "Lydia" are just too similar-- remember Tory and Troy McArthur?

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle There's another family from Brigham that had a Colton and a Colter. And their last name is Crowther. But not the point. Lillianna is still a super cute name, even if it does create confusion in your home. Look at it this way: Lily and Lydia will only be living in the same house for approximately 1/5 of their lifetimes. Why let a little confusion for the minority of their lives stop them from having beautiful names? Hmmm...unless they end up joining the FLDS and marrying the same man. Then it would be confusion for the entirety of their lives...and eternity (according to the FLDS), so maybe it's not such a good idea.
I just finished reading Escape, in case you were wondering.
Alright, how about Emmeline or Emilia?

message 14: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby Danae - about the Anna Sophia Robb girl, the actress:

My husband watched the movie The Bridge to Tarabithia while he was overseas, and called me the next day to say that the main character (played by Anna Sophia Robb) reminded him so much of me that I had to see it. He imagined that she was what I was when I was a little girl.

When he googled the name "Anna Sophia" for fun, he found out that was the name if the actress that had reminded him of me. It was like a sign from heaven for him. He was like, "I have never ever seen a movie where I've thought someone in it was like you, and that girl's name was Anna Sophia!"

I seem to gravitate towards simple names, with only one spelling. I like Holly. Emma is pretty. Oh! Or Abby is very nice.

Emmeline is hard to spell. Do you pronounce it "Emme-lean" or "Emma-line"? Maybe I am the only one who doesn't know.

You could name her Danae, Jr. Guys do it all the time, so we can too if we want.

message 15: by Danielle (new)

Danielle It's Emma-line. Very old fashioned, but coming back into popularity.

message 16: by Danae (new)

Danae There is never a name simple enough that some crazy out there can't come up with another way to spell it. I'm not sure I like my name enough to subject a child to it. I've come to peace with it over the years, but I'm still not sure I would have picked it. It confuses people. Besides, that is only really effective if you have a good diminutive to go by--Ruth and Ruthie are fine. I don't want to spend the rest of my life being called "Big Danae". I just don't have the self-esteem for that. I don't know if I'm allowed to use Emilia--I think Doreen had her eye on Anilia (although that was before she named a baby Annessa, so maybe it's fair game now.) Abby, you'll hate me, but I was honestly considering Sophia. My husband likes Celia and Tessa. Why can't we live in one of those cultures where we let the kids name themselves when they're 10? Sigh.

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Wait, are there really cultures like that? That's weird. My theory with the names is to give them a long name that has at least one nickname/short version option and a middle name, so that if they really hate what I call them, they have something else to go by, if they want. Actually, Leila was the only name on our list that doesn't have a clear diminuitive. (Lay? Laylee?), but at least she can use Anne, if she wants. Anyway, I still very much like Sophia. It's classy, and for both of you, it goes well with the other siblings' names. Um, Anilia is a crazy name and makes me think of annihilation. I remember she liked Amelia, are you sure that's not what you're thinking of?

message 18: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby My middle name is Elizabeth. For years and years I was under the mistaken impression that I had decided to spell the name with a 'z' (instead of "Elisabeth") when I was in kindergarten/first grade and learned how to spell. Later I realized that my parents had to have picked the spelling, not me. How else would it be on my birth certificate that way?

Maybe the kids in the culture just THINK they named themselves at age ten. Probably they named themselves the same thing their parents had been calling them for years.

And if you let kids pick their own names at ten, wouldn't lots of them be name "Superman" and "Barbie"?

Also, there is room for more than one Sophia in the country, so we can all use it if we want.

message 19: by Danae (new)

Danae No, you know the snowboarder Peekaboo Street? Totally named herself. Her parents were a little liberal. Doreen always wanted Anilia. It's the same as Amilia, but with an "n". She saw it on a gravestone and thought it was cool. Ask her. Landon thinks we should name the baby "Elizabella", which I guess would give you any number of nicknames, but it still seems pretty crazy to me. Adria thinks we should name the baby "Adria", which I think is pretty clear evidence I should not consult my children on this one. You know my biggest problem with Sophia? There was that movie in the '80s called "Sophie's Choice", about abortion or something dire. It just sucks all the fun out of what I otherwise consider a lovely name. It might not even have been a real movie. It could have been one of those after-school specials or something. I'm not sure I ever even watched it. But the name stuck with me. You don't think people would try to call a Sophia "Sophie" do you? 'Cause that's an awful nickname, even without the movie.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy Hey in one of my classes our professor told us that in Sweeden (I think) there is a legal list of names that you can pick from to name your child. You can not give them a name that is not on this list. Wacko! I guess they don't want any Peekaboo's running around. I like the name Sophia a lot in fact and Abby I think Anna Sophia is really cute. I would have to say to Danae though I do think that people would shorten Sophia to Sophie. As far as names in the same family that are close here is what I have to say, not that it matters but here is my two cents. There are people in my ward, Emily can attest to this, so I am not going to name any names (pun intended ha ha ha) but they have named their children with names so close that I can't keep the kids straight and I have known some of these families for years. I am sure it is annoying for the mom's to be constantly correcting people. I hate asking "Ok now which one is that one." Maybe I am just name challenged. Sometimes it can be cute and other times really annoying.

message 21: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Amy makes a good point. Bryon has cousins (there are ten kids in the family) and there's a Bryson and Brynna and Kyler and Kacey and Kolton and for the life of me, I cannot keep them straight. That's annoying. Incidentally, Amy and Abby, Danae and I have 5 siblings and our parents whose names all start with "D" so probably our ward members hated us for that.
Yes, Sophia would definitely be called Sophie, whether accidentally or on purpose.

message 22: by Danae (new)

Danae That was something I always hated about being in a big family--people saw that many kids (and mostly girls) with strange names starting with "D" and they gave up without ever TRYING to say our names. On the other hand, I mix up plenty of siblings in Primary whose names are nothing alike--Trent and Darin, Kyrah and Aliyah; I think there is something at the back of my head that I'm AFRAID I'm going to mix them up, so my brain just supplies the wrong name as sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Anyway, I still think Sophie is a wretched nickname for a perfectly decent name. I've likewise always adored Kendall for a boy (although, now you hear it for a girl, which I also like) but I absolutely CAN NOT stand Ken or Kenny for nicknames--thus, I have no children named Kendall.

message 23: by Danielle (new)

Danielle I don't think a Kendall would necessarily be called Ken or Kenny. Nathaniel isn't called Nate. Is Kendall the traditional spelling? It looks weird to me.

message 24: by Danae (new)

Danae Five bucks says Nathaniel will run into someone--probably several someones--who insist on calling him Nate. Even then, Nate isn't such a bad nickname. Kenny is just...ugh. It's okay, it doesn't fit with my other kids' names anymore, anyway, so it's not a problem. Just a dream...