Georgina Castellucci's Reviews > Turn The Ship Around!: How to Create Leadership at Every Level

Turn The Ship Around! by David Marquet

Oct 02, 12

Read from August 19 to September 13, 2012

This book was incredibly insightful and relevant for anyone who wants to further delve into leadership skills, the keys to communicating effectively, motivating others, managing others and examining human behavior.

Marquet openly admits to his failures first and then the examination that leads to success, especially taking time to think about what motivated himself, what he felt motivated others and how people truly want to be treated.

I loved his trial of both leadership styles (the first being a bit laissez-faire,) and his honesty regarding its failure helps readers build a connection with him.

What I took away from the piece is the usage of powerful words (totally underused and under-estimated,) the need for deliberate action and a sense of empowerment.

I also was entertained when he admitted that is initial ideas regarding leadership were formed partially by Western Classics such as The Odyssey. When attempting to implement styles similar, he found things do not work as they do in film or fable nor does the leader/follower model always work.

This was a wonderful piece of literature that truly will open your eyes also about the nuclear navy field. Though I work at a nuclear engineering firm, I did not know how things work, how strict the regime was kept nor all of the things a CO must be accountable for (learned during Marquet's description of his observance of several CO's commanding styles.)

If you are looking for something real and easy to relate to, I highly recommend this book. It is intelligently written and a straight-forward read.

N.B. I received this book complimentary for review however the above thoughts and opinions are completely my own.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turn The Ship Around!.