Jonetta's Reviews > When the Duke Found Love

When the Duke Found Love by Isabella Bradford

Nov 26, 2012

bookshelves: author-review-request, historical-romance
Read from November 25 to 26, 2012

Willful Lady Diana, the youngest of the Wylder sisters, has dallied with a rake one too many times and now her family is in a rush to get her married to salvage her reputation. The dull and dour Lord Crump has agreed to wed her but Diana cannot forget her recent chance encounter with the Duke of Sheffield, a charming, dashing cousin of her brothers-in-law (his identity was unbeknownst to her at the time).

Sheffield upsets Diana's plans as she cannot get him out of her head. Meanwhile, Sheffield has his own issues as his cousin has found a "suitable" mate for him to marry in accordance with the King's wishes following his latest scandal.

I really enjoyed this final story of this series. Diana may be the most spirited of the sisters but she is also the one to feel the most obligated to her family. Crump was a pig but was providing the balm for her reputation and Diana's family was steamrolling her into moving forward with this union, even though it was obvious to them it was a poor match. Sheffield was determined that he could win her over but it was a tougher challenge. I really liked him and though she could be frustrating at times, I liked Diana, too. I got her commitment to family and her unwillingness to make them unhappy. The ruse involving Sheffield's betrothed made the story a bit more interesting, at least providing an acceptable means for Diana and Sheffield's interludes. There were also many hilarious moments involving Sheffield's beloved dog, providing comic relief during some tense moments. It was tough to watch Diana's transformation from an impulsive, fun-loving young woman to the stifled conformist demanded by Crump. While I struggled with what seemed to be the obtuseness of her family, I also understood the norms of the period that drove their insensitivity. It just made the romance between Diana and Sheffield that much more special and I loved their interludes.

This was a fitting end to the series, even though I'm reluctant to let these characters go. The Wylder sisters and their delectable men were a fun escape and I really enjoyed each of their stories.

(I received an ARC from NetGalley)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Duke Found Love.