Amanda's Reviews > Going Bovine

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Aug 19, 12

bookshelves: death, disability, fantasy, funny, ya
Read in August, 2012

This was an entertaining read. I think the length of the book might intimidate some younger readers, but it's a pretty quick read. I will say that I pretty much predicted the end of the book 1/2 to 2/3 in, but even though it ended how I thought, Bray put in details that I didn't see coming- yay for that. I didn't like that there seemed to be swearing for the sake of swearing- I can understand profanity when it builds a character or in some way advances the plot, but mostly it was just teens swearing 24/7.
I liked that Bray included a gay character who isn't defined by being gay- in fact, we don't know about his sexuality until the last bit of the book and it isn't some big to-do- it's just, now he has a boyfriend and that is A-ok with everyone. I also like that she had a character who is a Little Person who isn't defined by his dwarfism (although it certainly plays a big role in how others perceive him and is the subject of some light-hearted banter). AND she has a Latino character who expresses his heritage without that being his only characteristic. So points for multi-layered minority characters!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Bovine.