Andrew's Reviews > The Innocence of Father Brown

The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: classic
Read from August 19 to 21, 2012

I must admit I didn't wholly think I would enjoy these books(or would that be holy?)...the idea of a Cassock wearing P.I. was one that I thought might be too much for me..expecially given the amount of criminals now found themselves in religous garb!!
However all prejudice aside I decided to give this book a read and what do you know!!...(you may guess from the rating!!)..I thoroughly enjoyed this book..it's made up of small tales featuring Father Brown,Brown himself isn't overtly pious which I think is why these books work he is a priest who consorts with sinners hence his ability to read and sniff out a criminal without the need for divine intervention.
As to whether these books stand alongside other detective works I can't really say..apart from the Sherlock Holmes books Whodunnit type fiction hasn't really grabbed me in the past..these books are less inventive than the Holmes ones but the narrative is faster paced and in their own way they are clever..less time is spent on the deduction but the criminals and the crime are always interesting.
Am I a convert?...I certainly am to more by this fine author....
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Innocence of Father Brown.