Kurt's Reviews > The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean

The Secret Life of Lobsters by Trevor Corson

M 50x66
Dec 07, 08

Read in December, 2008

This is one of the best books I've read in a while and I'd recommend it to just about anyone. I'm not just saying this because of a potential bias with my home-state because I don't even like eating lobsters. The author truly experiences his subject by living and working on a lobster boat for two years while gathering information for this book and it showed. It comes to no surprise that the author is capable of writing on a diverse list of topics that include Buddhism in Japan, the Tiananmen Square Massacre, and of course, lobsters.

In this book, I particularly like the intimate details that are provided on all the main characters of the book. This really helps the reader get into the characters' heads and understand why certain decisions were made regarding their work with lobsters. The main issues discussed include the debate on over-fishing the lobster fishery, life on an island fishing town, scientist vs. government opinion, lobster reproduction, lobster behavior, and lobster population dynamics. The discussion on lobster mating and reproduction is particularly fascinating. Be sure to refer to the anatomical diagram of a lobster near the end of the book when the various lobster parts and functions of these parts are described.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Lobsters.

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela Dykema Yeah, Jonathan recommended this one to me also... :)