Rachel's Reviews > Life Happens: And Other Unavoidable Truths

Life Happens by Connie Schultz

Aug 19, 12

Read from August 17 to 19, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Happens.

08/19/2012 page 5
2.0% "Good journalists ask great questions, but the best stories come about only when we shut up and listen. I haven't met a person who doesn't have at least one good tale, and if I leave an interview without hearing it, I always feel the blame is mine. Keeps the standard high."
08/19/2012 page 6
2.0% "No matter where we live, we all have those moments when a sudden reminder of life's brevity changes us, at least for a while. In that quiet moment of surrender, life happens."
08/19/2012 page 23
7.0% "Who needs upper body strength when you can outsmart the problem, we tell ourselves."
08/19/2012 page 29
9.0% "We never knew how happy we were."
08/19/2012 page 29
9.0% "Most of us learn the hard war that the boundaries of sorrow deepen the moment we recall what we failed to cherish. In an instant, we see what we took for granted and, with the startle reflex of a baby, we flail at our newly excavated grief."
08/19/2012 page 37
12.0% "Sometimes life happens only if you get out of its way."
08/19/2012 page 51
16.0% "Fortunately, love is stubborn that way. It seeps through the thickest of scars and takes hold of the very heart we thought was beyond its reach."
08/19/2012 page 54
17.0% "I am and old-fashioned feminist. To me, we are all sisters, united not just by what we have in common but by our differences, too, because that's what the women's movement was all about: choice."
08/19/2012 page 74
23.0% "Our mistakes and failures connect us to others in profound ways that our successes and conquests never will. It's in the moments of humility, when we have no choice but to see our own foibles and missteps, that the seed of compassion taks root in our hearts. The more we stumble, the more our capacity for compassion grows like graceful willows."
08/19/2012 page 123
38.0% "My story is as old as the bricks under Cleveland's earliest streets. I am the child of working-class parents determined they would be the last of their kind. And there was the same unspoken deal in thousands of households: We'll send you kids away, but don't you ever forget where you came from."
08/19/2012 page 125
39.0% "This supposed era of new moral values sure makes for curious times. We hyperventilate over who's kissing whom and what constitutes a viable human being even as we ignore the human being standing right in front of us."
08/19/2012 page 127
40.0% "Many days, the only thing the working poor can lay claim to is their dignity, and that's a threadbare wrap for too many of them because of the bad behaviour of too many of us. Even if we surrender to the tired adage that life is unfair, that doesn't mean we have to be unfair to one another. How we treat those who can't force us to be kind says everything about who we are as a people."
08/19/2012 page 131
41.0% "My mother didn't have a lot of advice for her three daughters when it came to men, but her one cautionary note rang with the clarity of church bells: Don't marry him until you see how he treats the waitress. I think we was worried less about who we dated than about who we might become if the bad behaviour rubbed off."
08/19/2012 page 145
45.0% "Ever have one of those moments when it dawns on you that you must really be crazy about someone because no way will he ever make your life easier?"
08/19/2012 page 161
50.0% "Mary Joyce Green: This fight for women's rights is like dusting. We dust and dust and dust, and it keeps coming back. We can't take a break and we can't stop helping one another."
08/19/2012 page 170
53.0% "The more subtle lessons of good behaviour, the ones guiding us in our discourse with men, were the most disabling. Words of etiquette were code for "know your place." Considerate meant differential. Respect was obedient. Polite was silent."
08/19/2012 page 172
54.0% "Clipped wings can grow, I've learned. We can fly at any age and any stag of life. And if we catch the wind just right, we can even soar, high above all those well-behaved women still stuck on the ground."
08/19/2012 page 183
57.0% "I was raised to believe that being a Christian meant fixing ourselves and helping others, not the other way around. The Christians I admire try to respond to differences with compassion, not anger or judgment. God knows I'm working on that one myself, and so I appreciate the role models."
08/19/2012 page 197
62.0% "I see God in the faces of those who protest the war, and those who show up for the services of fallen troops they never met. I see God in the healing touch of doctors and nurses and volunteers who care for the swelling numbers of the poor. And I see God in the righteous fury of those who champion the homeless, advocate for the overworked and underpaid, and demand that every citizen's vote be counted."
08/19/2012 page 201
63.0% "You can believe that something greater than yourself looks out for you and cheers you on. That love, kindness, and generosity are your greatest gifts to the world, and the more you give them away, the more they come back to you."
08/19/2012 page 214
67.0% "I learned from my mother that those who are most secure in their faith feel to need to hammer others with their certainty. The walk of faith begins and ends with the journey within, and that's a path fraught with mystery and best guesses. My own faith makes me neither right nor righteous because it demands so much of me that I am still trying to find. "
08/19/2012 page 218
68.0% "We don't make it to the high road in the face of withering judgment. It is the open heart and outstretched hand that pulls us up."
08/19/2012 page 229
72.0% "We define heroism so differently. To us, acts of bravery come when we know the risks and consequences but plow ahead anyway. These young soldiers have no idea what lies ahead and all that they can lose."
08/19/2012 page 244
76.0% "It takes a lot of living, and dying to see the role we can play in other people's times of sorrow. Most of us discover our capacity for such grace only after enduring our own paralyzing."