Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Out of the Blue

Out of the Blue by Victor Cruz

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012-release, memoir, non-fiction
Read from August 19 to 20, 2012

Victor Cruz did not just come from nowhere. He didn't just appear out of the blue. He came from what some would dub a broken home, streets rife with crime, and a little boy with big dreams became a legend. It wasn't an overnight thing. It came with struggles and stress attached. As Victor says at the end of this book, "You can't wait for your chance. You can't expect it. You have to earn it." Wise words. I think I'll post them somewhere I can see them and remind myself of this when I get frustrated over my writing career.

I learned a lot as I read this. Football players, the pros anyway, are not dumb jocks. They have to make good SAT scores to get into those colleges where recruiters find them. And after reading about the lockout, the financial stuff they go through, the injuries, the stress, the whole drafting process, I have a newfound respect for football players in general.

Cruz grew up in Paterson, NJ and turned to sports to stay off the streets and out of trouble. He was raised by a single mom and his abuela and papi. His dad was a firefighter who wasn't a part of his life till Cruz turned seven. He introduced his son to football. Cruz had a series of hard knocks: gangs beating on him and his friends, shootings, illness in the family, his father dying, bad grades, and just frustration when the NFL kept passing him by. Nothing was handed to this guy.

Full review here: http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2012/...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Blue.

08/19/2012 page 109
36.0% "Not a boring memoir at all. Interesting that to play college football, one must have good SAT scores. Explains why I never saw those illiterate jocks I went to school with on tv or heard of their names after high school."