Eric_W's Reviews > A Simple Plan

A Simple Plan by Scott B. Smith

Apr 03, 10

Read in March, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I picked this up to fill some time and it's a real page-turner. If you've seen the movie you probably know the plot. Two brothers and a friend discover $4 million in cash in crashed plane. The moral dilemmas escalate from there as they try to hide that they have the money and then kill to keep the secret. An all too-believable story of how otherwise "normal" people get caught up in events that escalate out of control.

A telling quote from Sarah, Hank's wife. Hank is the accountant whom we would assume to be the more moral (why in heaven's name we would assume that is beyond me given the accounting failures of recent years). This comes - SPOILER ALERT - after Hank has shot his friend, his friend's wife, his brother's friend, and his brother, in a plan, now fully supported by Sarah, to keep the millions they found in the plane secret. She says: "What we've done is horrible, but that doesn't make us evil." Yeah, right. They then rationalize how they were "forced" by external pressures to be horrible.

If you get the audio version, avoid the abridged, and get the Recorded Books unabridged read by Peter Bradbury who does a brilliant narration. Audible used to have it available but now lists only the abridged.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Simple Plan.

12/09/2008 page 200

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mike                                              There's a plot twist the movie set aside, a late-game choice made by Hank, that just dazzled me the first time through. I'm a sucker for such narrative entrapment: escapist fictions that revel in the slow, painful revelation that there is no escape. The movie didn't quite capture that gut-punch bleakness of the novel.