Meen's Reviews > The Greatest White Trash Love Story Ever Told

Dec 13, 08

bookshelves: fiction, own-it
Recommended to Meen by: The $1 clearance shelf at Page & Palette
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

The title! My people! How could I resist?! (OK, and it was on clearance for $1.)

Final Update: It's been many years since I had Comp II, but I think the first story is an allegory, a Christian allegory: The male lead character is Ben ("son of") Carpenter who loves Terra Peoples (people of the Earth, yeah?) consistently and wholly over the course of their entire crazy lives in which she continually rejects him and falls deeper and deeper into willful and injurious debauchery. I won't tell you how it ends, but if you know "The Greatest Story Ever Told," just know that the allegory persists through the entire story, which is narrated by Angel Bonsecour, of course. The fun thing about allegories (if that is what this kind of story is even called--someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that they are like a game/puzzle. Even if the writing's not that great, you can still have a good time picking out the allegorical references. One thing that didn't work for me in this story was the narrative method the author used to switch back and forth between the present and the past--"we" drive along in a car (a Yellow Cadillac El Dorado, no less) with Angel as she points stuff out to "us." That just seemed strained and silly to me. Also, this is the first story or book that I've ever read that was set in the place where I live and it was a strange effect b/c rather than just seeing the setting in your head, imagining it as the author describes it, filling in for yourself what's not described, I actually KNOW all of the places being described and they are "real" in my head, not imaginary. I don't know if that was a good or bad thing as far as my enjoyment of the story goes, but it was definitely strange. It made it seem less fictive, I think.

The 2nd story, "A War Story," was my favorite, an interesting South Alabama redneck family feud that may also be allegorical, but if it was I didn't catch the references. (It's been so long since I was an active Christian, very few of the details of Biblical stories remain in my memory.) It was religious in tone--tragedy and then redemption--but the characters were engagingly portrayed even without any deeper symbolism assigned to their identities. (It is possible that I liked these characters most b/c they are the ones who were most like "my people.")

The final story was all right, possibly also allegorical, but again I don't have all of the potential referents easily accessible anymore, so I may have missed it. It too was about redemption via embracing your fellow man, especially the ones you like the least.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greatest White Trash Love Story Ever Told.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. My people, too. And $1 book clearance racks are the best.

Meen OMG, y'all, I'm still high from my trip to Page & Palette! They have this whole room upstairs with nothing but clearance books. There's $1 to $5 shelves, but I stick with the $1 shelf. I went today for my graduation gift to myself and promised myself I wouldn't spend more than $10 (before tax). I got all the books I added on GR this evening! (Except for Ginnetta Correli's.)

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 08, 2008 07:19PM) (new)

It would be a genuine masterpiece if we could only discover that it was written in a trailer park! This title is like finding a lobster shack in Maine. It has to be the one place you would never consider eating in for the lobster to be the best in the world. You have probably found a treasure. Can't wait for the review!

Meen Yeah, cute, huh? It's definitely worth the read if only b/c it doesn't take very long.