Jen Marin's Reviews > The Magic

The Magic by Rhonda Byrne

Oct 09, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction-balanced-living, nonfiction-mindfulness, nonfiction-spirituality
Read in August, 2012

I found this book to be incredibly hokey. Really, it was repetitive, and cheesy, and I had to force myself to finish it.

Nevertheless, Byrne is on to something important in this book, and I found that making myself slog through it helped me to get in touch with the power of gratitude to transform my experience of life.

I gave up on the exercises early on as they were time consuming and difficult to fit into my already packed life. However, just reading a chapter or three every day or so had a strong impact on my use of gratitude and my recognition for all that is right in my world. When we remember to be grateful, both verbally and energetically, we change our perspective from one of lack to one of bounty. This helps us to feel better, and according to Byrne, helps us to invoke all the good we can imagine.

I haven't manifested anything massive through these practices (yet) but I have to admit that I feel better, and I am noticing all the good that does come my way with clearer vision. Hot running water coming out of the tap. My general good health. A refrigerator. A car that runs. A house with room for all. This computer I type at. The information well that is the internet. My eyes, my hands, my ears. My family. A better job prospect and new opportunities that I had never before thought possible. Every single day, I give thanks for these blessings and more. And you know what? I do feel better. And things are looking up. Or at least, I am.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic.

Amanda Ford That's my issue. Twice now I've given up. Made it to day 13 this time. SO time consuming