Tina's Reviews > A Stolen Life

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

Aug 20, 12

Read from August 19 to 20, 2012

Jaycee Lee Dugard tells her own story, about being taken, held in captivity for 18 years, being raped and living through other horrible moments basically on her own, having her own children hidden away in a backyard, and making friends with numerous pets.

I could not go to sleep without finishing this book, I just could not put it down once I started reading. She tells about several memories she has and milestones in her captivity (getting pregnant, birth of the children), and about the people who did this to her. There are many photographs in between, and I really liked her "reflection" after each chapter in which she looks back on the memories with a bit of a distance and self-understanding she has gained through therapy. She realized certain things, how and why it felt like that to her and also about how she struggles reliving those moments when writing about them now.

With every date I saw printed in this book I thought about my own life, how much I grew up and experienced while she was being held in the same place for such a long time. I went to school, graduated, had different friends, a first date, travelled to places around the world, got married...etc. It gave me a feeling of being grateful to my freedom of doing this and having choices and again, not taking such things in life for granted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Stolen Life.

08/19/2012