Flourish's Reviews > Nobrow: The Culture of Marketing + The Marketing of Culture

Nobrow by John Seabrook

Dec 08, 08

Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

I enjoyed this book - in fact, I read it in one sitting. I feel a little bit like it was air, though. I would classify it as a "beach book" because it echoes my life in the way that I think "Sex and the City" must echo some other women's lives - it's my life in hyperdrive, my life as I kind of but not really aspire to be, my life in some alternate universe where I am more attractive, better at my job, an important person...

The actual contents? Interesting riffs on David Geffen and Ben Kweller during the "Radish" era. A look inside the New Yorker, inside MTV, and inside the life of an American aristocrat of a type that I can't imagine. 1990s nostalgia. I may have found this book more interesting than I otherwise would have because I'm encountering the East Coast and the East Coast tastemaker world for the first time.

Despite the title, there's very little in it about marketing, per se. There is a good deal about culture, however.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobrow.