Jane Stewart's Reviews > Firestarter

Aug 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi-suspense-thriller
Read in August, 2012

3 ½ stars. Suspenseful, engaging, good creativity. But the story stopped too soon, not enough at the end.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
There were some really good parts. I was enjoying this until the end, when I was disappointed that something bad happened to a good guy. I was happy for another good guy, but it could have been better. (Question to author: What is wrong with happy endings?) Technically this was happy, but not happy enough.

I feel like the author grew tired and stopped too soon. There could have been so much more going into the future. Yes, you could call this an ending, but just barely. It needed more.

STORY BRIEF:
Most of the story is either being on the run or being held prisoner by The Shop. The Shop is a secret U.S. government organization doing scientific research - injecting citizens with experimental drugs. The Shop has no problem using hit men. Charlie is seven years old and can throw fire as a weapon using only her mind.

The narrator Dennis Boutsikaris was very good.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 3rd person. Unabridged audiobook length: 14 hrs and 43 mins. Swearing language: strong, including religious swear words. Sexual content: none. Setting: 1980 to 1983 various U.S. locations. Book copyright: 1980. Genre: sci-fi suspense thriller. Ending: Good for one good guy. Bad for most bad guys.

OTHER BOOKS:
For a list of my reviews of other Stephen King books, see my 5 star review of Carrie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firestarter.

Sarah Larkin Kings books often bloom into massive epic story lines that he doesn't seem to know what to do with, I suppose with the big, slow build up, a vast cast of characters and their very descriptive personalities any ending will be a a let.

Sarah Larkin Oops should have read a let down.

Jane Stewart I wish more people would comment like you and me. Maybe King would listen to us and do something about his endings.

(I figured that's what you meant.)
Thanks Sarah

Aditya I had no qualms about the ending as it fits the overall atmosphere of the story.I don't like happy endings just for the sake of pleasing people.Well i think this was better than Carrie,a bit more polished & the only King book with a really bad ending is the stand.

Jane Stewart Aditya,
OK, got your vote for the other side. Thanks.