Alice's Reviews > The Secret Keeper: A Novel of Kateryn Parr

The Secret Keeper by Sandra Byrd

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: christian, historical-fiction, the-royal-challenge
Read from August 19 to 21, 2012

This is a good novel for those who cannot get enough of the Tudors. Sandra Byrd has a novel of the little known Kathryn Parr.

Juliana St. John, a lady of gentle birth, is invited to serve at the court of Lady Kathryn Latimer. Then she has a disturbing vision, a man's hand with a distinctive ring. This man is her sponsor to Lady Latimer's household.

With the intrigues of court, Juliana cannot tell between friend or foe. It leads to such a misfortune that she must leave. Meanwhile Lady Latimer has become a widow and has drawn the interest of King Henry VIII. Lady Kathryn has recalled Lady Juliana for her faith and counsel.

I like how the author works in the gift of Biblical Prophecy into the story line and makes it part of the character. It shows how problematical it is for Tudor times, as well. Prophecy was regarded as witchcraft in that era. The English Bible was banned. Women were forbidden to read anything. The atmosphere brings home that the Tudor Era was much like a modern day police state. I'm sure other European kingdoms were much worse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Keeper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alice I'm not so Anglophilic as to excuse this dictatorship. One historian, my late mother, was of the opinion that "Indeed England was the worst excepting all the others."