Yvonne Powderly's Reviews > Tell the Wolves I'm Home

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

F 50x66
Aug 19, 2012

Read in August, 2012

This is a special book, one you’ll remember long after you have finished the last page. It is not marketed directly to YA but easily will delight and inspire young readers.
It's 1987, and awkward 14-year-old June's favorite person in the world, her Uncle Finn, has just died of AIDS. Finn leaves her a message asking her to take care of his longtime partner Toby, whom June’s family blames for Finn’s illness. At first cautiously, then enthusiastically, June tries to fulfill Finn’s wishes, and discovers complicated parts of her family history that she’d rather not have learned.
We are witnesses to June’s dreams and insecurities. She searches for answers on how to heal her rocky relationship with her sister Greta; how to be the person Finn thought she could be; how to understand her parents; and how to recover from a broken heart.
The characters’ relationships are exquisitely complex and real. The writing is descriptive to the point that you can feel June’s aches. This novel is full of emotion so have your tissues ready.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell the Wolves I'm Home.