Karel's Reviews > Paris A to Z

Paris A to Z by Marie Sexton

Aug 19, 12

bookshelves: nomance
Read in August, 2012

Having read the whole series, I figure it's time for a review.

'Promises' and 'Strawberries for Dessert' are the hands down best books of the entire series. Judging from the other reviews, I gather it's the same for the rest too. I loved Promises the most, because I adored how Jared and Matt were friends before lovers, and they were absolutely adorable as friends. (So much so that heck, I probably wouldn't even mind that they don't end up together). Cole, Jon, and Angelo, were simply fabulous too.

Noticed I didn't mention Zach?

Zach is hands down the least likeable character for me. For one, I don't know who he is. He doesn't have much backstory other than his being hung up over Jonathan - most of the books featuring him were used to deal with Angelo's problems. He doesn't have any personality that defines him either. As far as I can tell, he used to be a partying, underachieving loser and then as the story goes on he becomes a clueless, underachieving loser who's still hung up over a relationship from ten years ago.

And the worst part? He sounds pretentious. I would love him if he was some nice, all-over-the-place, stubble-faced, all-grins-no-brains fella, but if I remember correctly, Angelo described him as wearing what sounds like Polo shirts. Which just makes it worse. It's like he's pretending to be preppy or something. The preppy-loser combination just doesn't take.

And even when they move the store, it's all Angelo who's doing everything. No turning over a new leaf, no trying to learn more about businesses and videos. Heck, he knows the shop will last another three years, tops, and what does he do? Nothing. I don't even know what Angelo sees in him.

I would even accuse him of using Angelo to help his ailing store, but honestly, I don't think he's smart enough. All the problems with the series boils down to Zach - beyond that, this series is one you don't want to miss.

Just blot out any chapter with Zach in it. With a Sharpie.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paris A to Z.