Lizzy Lessard's Reviews > Hearts of Darkness

Aug 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal, reviewed
Read from August 19 to October 18, 2012

Overview: After reading the prequel novella (and loving it), I was so excited and impatient to read this book that I requested a copy from the author. But it was clear very early on in Hearts of Darkness that this was a completely different story than the first. This book is set in present time, while the prequel had a western feel. The world building feels very extensive, but it took me quite a few chapters to be convinced that present day Seattle is over-run by mystical shapeshifters and beings…but the rest of the world is unaware of this. I think my main gripe with the novel is that I didn’t like the POV characters. Since the next book is written from a different POV, I might still read it.

Characters: I would’ve liked this story much more had the main characters not been Kayla and Hart. I liked Corbette, Grace, Lydia, and especially Norgard and I wish one of them told the story. It could have been a five-star book. First off the chemistry between the characters is so awkward. I never felt like they truly cared for one another. Hart didn’t love her – her lusted her. He spent much of his time thinking about how to screw her over and the rest of the time thinking about screwing her. He kept talking about the beast inside him wanting to bend her over and stick it in. After pages and pages of this, I was like: “Just do it already!” By the time the sex scene happened, I was so fed up with Hart and Kayla that I skipped it. And, he growled a lot…a whole lot. Oh, and Kayla felt like the dumbest human alive. She walked into trap after trap and was so incredibly naive. She had absolutely no backbone and was all about preaching forgiveness and not taking things personally. I don’t understand how Hart could do that “thing” to her and she shrugs it off!

Plot: The plot felt predictable about half the time and the other half I was confused as to why the characters did the things they did. So I guess it wasn’t nearly as predictable as I originally thought. By the end of the book, I stopped trying to guess what would happen and just enjoyed the story. The world building was well done and the mythology was teasingly revealed throughout the story. Even by the end, I understood much of the world, but I wanted to know so much more.

Ending: There were some really cheesy moments in the end. The kind of stuff you’d expect in a movie with more special effects than acting skills. These things were not realistic and obviously only there for dramatic flair. I wish things would have ended differently with Corbette…his ending was bittersweet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts of Darkness.

08/20/2012 page 30
9.0% "The main character is a POC! Extra points."
10/13/2012 page 130
39.0% "I don't know why this book is taking me so long to read. It's a pretty good book so far."
10/18/2012 page 186
56.0% "Kind of predictable."
show 2 hidden updates…