Dipanjan's Reviews > Fer-de-Lance

Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout

Oct 08, 12

Read from September 20 to October 08, 2012

I can't say for sure who I became a fan of after reading this book. Was it Nero Wolfe? Was it Archie Goodwin? Or was it Rex Stout himself? Or was it all 3 of them equally.

I am a sucker for vintage America and the entire visualization of a vintage New York just overwhelmed me. The entire lifestyle, the purchasing power, the environment came to life in this book.

Well, it is a cozy mystery for sure. And it is a very male mystery. The whackiness of Archie Goodwin and the eccentricity of Nero Wolfe just kept you gently rocking and rolling through the waves of this mystery.

However, I was a bit disappointed when I did not get a lot of answers in the end. Yes, Mr. Wolfe did solve the crime and did answer why it was committed and even how it was committed. But what I was also looking for was HOW Mr. Wolfe solved it and that never came. In fact, when the book finished I was like "Hey Mr. Stout, how about telling me how Mr. Wolfe put two plus two together?". And what was Wolfe's game plan to catch and trap the perpetrator.

I will definitely pick up his next book "The League Of Frigthened Men". But if the "How" is not answered there, maybe I will just have to pass the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fer-de-Lance.

09/24/2012 page 72