Jamie's Reviews > Survival in Auschwitz

Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi

Aug 18, 2012

Read in October, 2012

Certainly a moving account that made me repeatedly want to pause and reflect on life. Primo had a very beautiful personality and sharp insights. I noted in particular the following quotes:

"For human nature is such that grief and pain - even simultaneously suffered - do not add up as a whole in our consciousness, but hide, the lesser behind the greater, according to a definite law of perspective...it is not a question of a human incapacity for a state of absolute happiness, but of an ever-insufficient knowledge of the complex nature of the state of unhappiness...if the most immediate cause of stress comes to an end, you are grievously amazed to see that another one lies behind; and in reality a whole series of others."

"...a country is considered the more civilized the more the wisdom and efficiency of its laws hinder a weak man from becoming too weak or a powerful one too powerful."

"Strange, how in some way one always has the impression of being fortunate, how some chance happening, perhaps infinitesimal, stops us crossing the threshold of despair and allows us to live."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Survival in Auschwitz.