Cover Critic's Reviews > Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy

Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer

12004843
Aug 18, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, strong-female-protagonist, historical-fiction, pirates, favorites
Read in July, 2012

I picked up this book in a small bookstore that had nothing else available. I was not looking forward to reading it. The cover left an unfavorable impression and I was afraid that the writing would be just as bland. That being said, the book pleasantly surprised me.

Jacky Faber is one of my favorite YA protagonists. It is SO refreshing to not have a female MC that is drooling over all of the boys around her! She is perfectly capable of being friends with them instead.

That being said, there is some romance in the book, which I appreciated. It's tasteful and believable.

While Jacky disguises herself as a man, I'm glad that she doesn't completely lose hold of her femininity. There seems to be a misconception in society that women need to become like men in order to be equal to them. This is not the case. Jacky well represents the truth; she is able to hold her own against men without sacrificing her womanhood.
Throughout the book, Jacky faces a variety of challenges that make me feel empathy for her, and her responses to them make me respect her. She is an exceptional character, both in her flaws and her strengths.

The book is written from a first-person perspective in Jacky's voice. Her manner of speaking annoyed me at first, but it soon became endearing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloody Jack.