Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog's Reviews > Screaming in the Silence

Screaming in the Silence by Lydia Kelly

4.5 Stars

I wasn’t thinking about what had just happened, how I had been taken without my consent, how the pleasure I experienced was more humiliating than the act itself. No. I was only feeling abandoned.

When I picked up this book, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Sure, I read the description and a few reviews, but I wanted to form my own conclusions. I’ve always found stories involving captor/captive relationships fascinating. How do you know if what you feel is truly love, or if it was just a survival mechanism? This story really drew a fine line between the two.

Out of the three men that took Raleigh, she connected with Kaden the most. It didn’t help matters when one of her captors, Ray, wanted to initially kill her. Marshall, Ray’s brother, was just a confused young man. Next to Kaden, Marshall captured my heart with his innocence and sweet nature. He was such a conflicted soul. He wanted to do what’s right, but without making his older brother angry. After Ray tried to force himself on Raleigh, Kaden came in and saved her. Kaden vowed to not let anything happen to her. However, Kaden couldn’t save her from himself.

“You’re here because I want you with me. You’re here because I needed to find a way to make you see that you wanted to be with me as well.” ~ Kaden

I felt for Raleigh and her ever conflicting feelings for Kaden. My feelings for him were ever changing. I loved Kaden. I disliked Kaden. Then back to swooning over him. I never hated him though. He was thrust into this situation and, to me, wasn’t in his right mind when he first tried to connect with Raleigh. He and his friends did not want this. They were not meant to be kidnappers. They all panicked and made the wrong choices. His initial treatment of Kaden was made by a man who was desperate. Somewhere along the lines, the relationship between Raleigh and Kaden began to move from captor/captive to one with longing and desire. They both know their relationship can’t go very far. The situation is getting out of control and the little world that they lived in will eventually come crashing. Will their relationship survive the aftermath?

All the pain he caused me, all the terror I lived with, was nothing compared to the anxiety of not knowing what would happen if I were to find myself without him.

So I found myself conflicted with the ending. I read the Author’s Note at the end and apparently the epilogue that came with my version was recently added. She initially left it “open” to interpretation, but felt that the reader needed some closure. Though I appreciated the epilogue, I think I would’ve liked it just as much without it. Wait. What? No. Nevermind. Now that I think about it, I liked having the closure. That’s just the type of girl I am. Anyway, if you like being emotionally conflicted, read this. I thought it was well worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Screaming in the Silence.

08/19/2012
1.0% "I'm praying this will get me out of this book funk I'm in. Here's hoping :)" 4 comments
08/20/2012
56.0% "WHOA!!! WTF just happened? o_O" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mitsy (new) - added it

Mitsy Let me know if it's any good and I'll read it. :)

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Chanda, I don't know if "dark" really covers it. I went into it thinking it would be, but along the way, it started to blur past dark and it's just gray? It's starting to become tragic. Make any sense? lol. I do like it so far though :)

Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!* When i looked this book up for purchase i noticed it has a epilogue setup as a seperate purchase... This was on Nook i have yet to check amazon. Did your book have an epi??

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Hmmm...does this have an HEA? (view spoiler) I really liked it though and I wasn't disappointed.

Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!* Wow, ok i'll still read it! I don't always need an HEA tho i prefer it. You say "happy" closure i can live with that.lol!!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Cool! Hope you girls like it, when you get to it =)