Shannan's Reviews > Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese

Aug 18, 2012

Read from August 18 to 25, 2012

Where have you been all my life Make the Bread, Buy the Butter? This book is THE book to read after you read Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle or anything by Micheal Pollan. Because after these food demigods finish their lectures, you are left thinking, "Okay great - I shouldn't eat anything produced and sold in a supermarket, but how will I eat???"
The author embarks on a 18month journey to give (in her humble opinion) us advice on what we, concerned eco-friendly organic and informed consumer, should make in our own kitchens or buy at the store. She gets backyard chickens and goats, bakes a variety of goods, makes cheese and sausage and in the end, tells us what is worth the trouble based on cost to taste analysis. The book is chocked full of recipes - full to the brim of useful information that will keep you busy for months! I can already tell you I have zero interest in stuffing my own sausage casings, but she makes such a great argument for baking your own (no knead!!!) bread, I feel like I would be stupid to not at least try it.

This book is a gem for the humble DIY homemaker or anyone who aspires to be one. And seriously, how impressive would it be to say to guests, "yes, all those items in mason jars in my pantry - I made all those!"
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make the Bread, Buy the Butter.