Julie's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks, fiction
Read from August 18 to 21, 2012

I picked up this book because it is the story of 3 adult sisters (I come from a family of 3 girls) who have all returned home when their mother is diagnosed with breast cancer. Their father is a professor at a liberal arts college whose passion is Shakespeare and rather than giving advice or an opinion, often throws out quotes from one of the plays. All 3 girls have their issues and coming home to help Mom often takes a back seat to resolving the crises in their lives.

I thought it would be fun to read a book about a family with 3 girls. Of course this family wouldn't have the same dynamic or problems as my family, but it would be an entertaining ride. Oddly, there were some amazing similarities. No, none of us are nymphomaniac thieves or came home pregnant without knowing who the father was (at least not me!). But the sentiment of loving each other and still feeling that sibling rivalry based on birth order must be universal because it completely resonated with me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I have thought about reading this one for awhile. Let me know if you think it's worth the read. :)

Julie Hi Jen,

I really liked this one - partly because it's the story of 3 sisters and I come from a family of 3 girls. I started reading this on my Nook but had borrowed the ebook from the library and it expired with just 70 pages left... I finished it in audio and I have to say that listening to this book was not as enjoyable as reading it. The 3 daughters are so different and distinct in personality, but the narrator had the same voice for them so it sort of blurred them together. But definitely worth the read. Love seeing all those books you're reading!

Julie

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I come from a family of 3 girls also and I think that's why I was drawn to it in the first place. Thanks for the warning about the audio version. I will definitely plan to read it. I hate when you can't distinguish between characters on audio versions. Yeah, I've been reading a lot this year, but I really miss you Ladies and the store. When does your new space open?