El's Reviews > Complete Ghost Stories

Complete Ghost Stories by Charles Dickens

Oct 27, 14

bookshelves: 19th-centurylit-early, permanent-collection, horror
Read in December, 2008

This book has been in my house for as long as I can remember, belonging originally to either my mom or my dad; by the time I moved out it was somehow in my own collection, though I had never actually read the entire book through. Our dad used to read A Christmas Carol to us when we were kids, but the other ghost stories were unknown to me until now when I sat down to read all of it, including A Christmas Carol with adult eyes.

Some of the stories are particularly good, like The Signal-Man, A Madman's Manuscript, The Haunted House and A Child's Dream of a Star. The rest were decent overall but did not necessarily make my flesh creep like the back cover and dedication page insisted. A Christmas Carol, however, stood the test of time and I loved every word of it now as I always did. I was just as tweaked out when Jacob Marley removed the bandage from around his jaw as the first time I saw it on TV and the first time it was read to me - the moment he begins to howl with his jaw dropped to his chest is by far one of the scariest literary moments in my opinion.

I'll keep this book in my collection, mostly for sentimental purposes, though I am sure I will only pick it up to re-read the Christmas ghost story Dickens is best known for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Complete Ghost Stories.

12/13/2008 page 93