Graham's Reviews > Vault of the Vampire

Vault of the Vampire by Keith Martin

Apr 30, 14

bookshelves: choose-your-own-adventure
Read in January, 1992, read count: 4

I loved these books as a kid! For the FIGHTING FANTASY series, VAULT OF THE VAMPIRE was a little different: a completely horror-themed adventure, rather than fantasy. Needless to say, it scared the hell out of me!

The story is heavily based on DRACULA: following in the footsteps of Jonathan Harker, you start off in an Eastern European country, entering a vampire-haunted castle and fending off all kinds of foes ranging from werewolves to icy vampiresses, ghouls and bugs and much, much more. The addition of a 'faith' attribute added an extra religious element to the battles, allowing you to fend off zombies and spirits if you were faithful enough! Another fine book that didn't pander to kids - this one gave me nightmares...

NB. We just replayed this adventure a couple of times and I was struck by just how good it is - definitely one of my all-time favourite FIGHTING FANTASY adventures. The author has a PhD in Parapsychology and his expertise comes to light in the way you encounter the various nasties. The spooky atmosphere is second to none and the adventure feels really involved and complex, with loads of lore and back story, although at the same time it's easy to play.

We died early on the first time around after an unwise encounter with a sinister vampiress, but on the second playthrough we did a lot better, making the right (sometimes lucky) decisions and eventually tackling the Count himself! Sadly, he proves to be one of the toughest villains and it all comes down to a couple of dice rolls at the end...we rolled low and, needless to say, paid for it with our life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vault of the Vampire.