Jen's Reviews > East

East by Edith Pattou

2204526
Aug 18, 12

Read in August, 2012

This bookgroup pick excited me because I finished reading Women Who Dance with the Wolves a few months ago and a story like this was discussed in that book. Hoping that this was a new take on old tales I was excited to see what the author would do. The first 3/4 of the book was great, the last 1/4 disappointing. Not that it ended differently than I would have liked, although it did, but the effort felt half-hearted. Did Pattou get tired of writing the story? Did her editor kill the original version? Was this intended to be a 4 book series that was heavily edited to fit into one?

I lean towards believing the last, that this was intended to be 4 books and was cut down. There were a few scenes in the latter half of the book that wanted more detail, like the richness of the first half. It made it hard to imagine the fantastical places when telling details and perfect metaphors were missing.

Really appreciated the author's interview at the end.

Overall a good read. Before our bookgroup discussion I want to go over Estes' version of the story and flush out Jungian archetypes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East.