Diana's Reviews > Paris in Love

F 50x66
Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: library-books
Read from August 18 to 21, 2012

This was an interesting memoir of Ms. James' year in Paris - although I am a bit unsure as to why she wrote her memoir under her nom de plume, maybe it was for marketing reasons because fewer readers would have known who she was if she used her real name.

Nonetheless, the book is charming - although perhaps a bit too lengthy. Reminiscent of A Year in Provence, the major difference here is that these seasonally-arranged personal essays are followed by numerous, sometimes only tangentially-related Facebook postings. The problem is that this "posting" style got a little old after awhile, although the essays and insights were all simply charming. I learned that Ms. Bly has a keen sense of perception and that we see eye-to-eye on many things. Had I not enjoyed her personality so much, I may not have soldiered through the whole thing.

I would say that fans of her romance work might find this book not to their liking, but those who like this type of memoir or even meta-fiction may enjoy the style. I'm glad to have read it, it would suit for a good title to select while running on the treadmill or at the beach, where attention can be shifted quickly if need be, but it is perhaps too light for a book club.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paris in Love.