Mandy's Reviews > Awkward

Awkward by Marni Bates

Aug 18, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in August, 2012

This book is actually really cute!

I've been neglecting my YA fiction and this was a really great way to get back into it. Awkward is the story of Mackenzie Wellesley, the queen of awkward. When one of her classmates manages to catch one of her blunders on video, it instantly goes viral and her life changes forever as she goes from invisible, to celebrity.

Don't get me wrong, it has its cliche moments, the big awkward fiasco the whole book is based around is kind of outlandishly ridiculous; there's some awkward, heartfelt mom talks; and her experiences with other celebrities are a little forced, but this book is really adorable. Most of the relationship drama is pretty obvious from the beginning, but that doesn't stop it from being fun to watch Mackenzie work it all out for herself.

One of my least favorite YA cliches is the studious main character who has fellow nerdy friends and never goes out to parties, but this book breaks that stereotype. She also has a cute gay best friend who can be a little over the top at times, but still adds some nice comedic relief to the story.

It's not a fantastic book, but it's a fun light read and it's cool to imagine how real life internet sensations might've had similar experiences. And through Mackenzie, you get to experience some perks of fame that the rest of can only dream about, and isn't that what good books are supposed to do?
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awkward.