Kevin Lucia's Reviews > Dead of Winter

Dead of Winter by Brian Moreland

Dec 04, 12

I was supposed to review this officially for Shroud Magazine, but life has gotten crazy, so I'm going to make it short, and personal:

First of all, excellent, excellent work. Very large, epic story, but told in manageable, brisk chapters, which kept the pace moving. And also, it's though-provoking: history provides ample fodder for horror, in the danger and violence experienced on frontier settlements, in the wild, during war, etc. "Dead of Winter" takes a well-known native American myth and weaves an enthralling, captivating story about good and evil. Boasting sympathetic characters you want to root for, this is one of those reads you need to allow yourself time to enjoy.

It does weave through flashbacks, and skips around time. This is one of those sorts of things that either appeals to a reader or it doesn't, but Moreland handles these switches well, and I never at once felt lost. Definitely worth the purchase.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead of Winter.

08/21/2012 page 86
26.0% "Excellent, so far. Very tight, controlled prose - which is really important in making a big, epic story like this move. Reminds me of Rob Dunbar's "The Pines.""