Mikal's Reviews > Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life

Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn

Aug 18, 12

Read from August 08 to 18, 2012 — I own a copy

This book was given to me as a gift many years ago.
In my own path for personal growth-- I've come back to the concept of "being present" "mindfulness" and "evenly suspended attention" over and over again.
While my studies have been great at describing what these experiences are like and what the benefits of achieving this state are they have been short on conveying the practice routines that can help strengthen our ability to attain mindfulness.
The last book I read on this subject was Bruce Lee's "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" and though Bruce Lee conveyed many practice routines for the martial arts, he was short of methodologies for fortifying one's "flow". I was just about give up, relegating myself to an unguided exploration of "mindfulness". Then I recalled this book on my shelf.

This book is nothing, if not a book of deliberate practices to strengthen your meditation and meditative mind. Dr. Kabat-Zinn emphasizes there is no such thing as "doing it right" as well as provides the reassuring guidance of a wise mentor with years of experience in the trials and tribulations of maintaining a sense of mindfulness. The uncertainties and insecurities I had as a new comer to this state of being were addressed methodically with a practitioners empathy.

I specifically sought out a book that explored the ways of deliberate practice because ultimately you are what you are practice. Therefore, once you are introduced to the meditative consciousness, this book is a highly recommended accompaniment.

This book is a breezy read that seems to embody the meditative state of mind (the language and writing style reaffirmed 'being present'). And is ultimately one of the most influential books I have read.

I'm glad I had the hard copy because my version is littered with pencil marks.

Lastly while this book refers to 'meditation', I think its important to dispel preconceived notions of meditation. I approached this book with the goal of meditating in every day encounters, specifically being mindful and alert to the present moment and what is truly happening without letting my habitual mind run amok. Ultimately this book set me on that path and more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wherever You Go, There You Are.