Robert's Reviews > The Sportswriter

The Sportswriter by Richard Ford

M 50x66
Aug 18, 2012

Read in August, 2012

A good book--just what I want, is a book about a middle aged guy having a midlife crisis. Basically, our hero, Frank Bascombe, is a failed? (quit, anyway) author who has become a sportswriter--perhaps the lowest form of writing. He is divorced, gets dumped by his girlfriend, and has his best? (he doesn't really have friends) friend commit suicide. Oh yeah, his oldest son died a few years before the novel takes place, and the opening scene has him and his X at the grave of their son on the anniversary of his death. It turns out that even though this book is obviously depressing, I actually found it more aggravating. Frank seemed to be not motivated to improve his life, or to make any serious decisions. This is the first of a trilogy so I will work my way through them. I can also borrow them electronically from the library. But to do so, I have to download the books to my computer, and then copy them to my Nook. The publisher thinks that the second download is an illegal copy--so I have to read them on my Apple.

Murakami is better choice if you want lonely heroes that are asking the meaning of life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sportswriter.