Annalisa's Reviews > I Am America

542037
Dec 11, 08

bookshelves: audiobook, humor
Read in December, 2008

If you like the Colbert Report, you'll probably like this book. Since Stephen Colbert is one of my favorite celebrities, I did very much enjoy the listen. I listened to it audio knowing that most of Stephen Colbert's comedic humor is the delivery. I found myself laughing out loud a lot. So yes imagine we wandering aisles as I shop or sitting amidst the cheering parents of a soccer game laughing to myself. Colbert has a rare gift of making something funny he doesn't believe in without making it angry or offensive. He mocks many things I believe by arguing for them with the most ridiculous logic and I still laugh and think it's hilarious. His social satire really is genius.

But the humor did drag a little. There were times when I wished he'd move onto the next joke. Particularly long were his "Stephen speaks for me" characters who rattled on about nothing in particular but made sure to get a sailor's quantity of f-words in there. The thing about Comedy Central is they edit out those f words so I don't have to hear them. If I could skip the other voices, I'd probably give this a 4. Plus I didn't get one crack about bears being a threat to America. I'm disappointed. My favorite segment had to be on parenting, especially his dialogue that women should cater their lives to their children. He even got in Stephen-style praise of Mormonism, which as I explained above is not really praise at all. The first disc was hilarious, the second and third ones slower and not as humorous, but there's still enough wit in there for it to be worth it. Just skip the tracks where Stephen isn't speaking. It's a quick listen; it took a few hours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am America.

12/06/2008 page 166
100% "A book that's meant to be listened in audio form."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Polar bears! It's hard writing reviews without discussing them, isn't it? They really ARE a threat to America, because they force you to think about them when you don't want to.

Annalisa And why is it even funnier (I know, not really a word) that you're the one that brings up the polar bears! Zombie polar bears! The number one threat to America for Halloween.