Noel's Reviews > Atonement

Atonement by Ian McEwan

Dec 06, 08

bookshelves: lit-and-fiction
Read in January, 2007

I loved this book -- plain and simple. I just finished it in the middle of the night because I couldn't stop thinking about it.

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***
I think McEwan hit it on the nail with his descriptions of a precocious 13 year old girl, mildly infatuated, who misinterprets something she's read and goes on to make additional mistakes which hugely affect the lives of so many people, hers included. How more than 60 years later these decisions weigh so heavily on her. How we can look back at a life, and there are no do-overs, no erasers. I should think we all have something, somewhere tucked away in our hearts that we'd like to do over, not say, or perhaps something we should have done and didn't. McEwan nailed this one and portrayed a time of pre-war England beautifully and with superb craft. The ending made the book, and for once I didn't peek!!!

Unfortunately, this book was purchased used and it is full of notations along the margins and underlining, I bet by a highschool or college student. Interesting to see what they underlined, but a bit distracting.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atonement.