Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Molly's Family

Molly's Family by Nancy Garden

Aug 18, 12

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Read on August 18, 2012

Extremely message heavy. While a good message, I was glad to see that, despite this book being on the featured shelf, it’s nearly a decade old. I hope it’s dated because it feels dated to me.

I’d recommend it for kids with “atypical” families and even more so kids who know kids from “atypical” families, bullies, for discussion of same sex relationships and families, for discussion of bullying, and possibly for read aloud time in kindergarten classrooms.

What I didn’t like was the oh so naïve young boy who thinks his family configuration is the only possible one, having 5-6 year olds think of cleaning windows and dusting as a way to make their classroom nicer for open school family night. The drawings idea seemed more realistic and less objectionable on so many levels, and I like that leashed dogs were welcome to attend, although families with kids with animal allergies might be less enamored of this idea. I did like the teacher but wonder why there hasn’t already been a group lesson about differences.

I did enjoy the pictures and their detail.

I hate rating this book too low because I appreciate what it’s trying to say, and I can see its appeal to some kids. But 2 ½ stars from me. I’ll up it because I do like the illustrations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Molly's Family.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Abigail, This one doesn't seem early enough to feel so early, but perhaps I'm incorrectly remembering history. I'm glad this author is a pioneer, and that she wrote both ya and picture books.

Lisa Vegan I loved In Our Mother's House. Of course, I love all heartfelt Polacco books.