Jessica Bingham's Reviews > Furies of Calderon

Aug 18, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: adult, bookclub-pick
Read in August, 2012

This was a "guy's pick" for my bookclub. I will say it could have been worse. This is a story about a boy named Tavi. Tavi is unlike all the people around him, in the fact that he does not have any Furies at his command. (Just like me you are wondering...what??!!) There is very little explanation in this book. There is very little background information. Apparently, the reader learns more as the series progresses. Tavi and his uncle are attacked by Marat (from what I can gather these are "savages"). They must warn the First Lord (the person in charge of the world) of the upcoming Marat attack. Along the way Tavi meets Amara. Amara is a Cursor (Once again....what is that? Tavi seems to think that she delivers mail. But she kicks ass and has a wind fury that can make her fly.) Amara is posing as a runaway slave in order to find out information for the First Lord, Gaius. She is betrayed by her teacher/mentor/partner Fidelius who is working with others to overthrow Gaius. In the story there is also Isana (probably my favorite character) who has a water fury named Rill and is a waterwitch. I don't think the two always go together. But she is very powerful.
I am really at a loss as to how to describe this book. I am also at a loss as to how to tell you what happens...because I don't really know. I found myself getting lost because it jumps around so much. The author wrote this as almost a dare. He asked someone to give him two subjects and he will write a book about them and someone said "the Roman Empire and Pokemon." That pretty much sums up the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furies of Calderon.

Mjchantry From the back cover:

"...the people of Alera have united against the aggressive and threatening races that inhabit the world, using their unique bond with the furies - elementals of earth, air, fire, water, wood, and metal."

From page 4:

"You've come a long way since your first term at the Academy. You were so shocked to find out that the Cursors did more than deliver missives... This is why the Cursor Legate keeps sending you away on missions."

Not sure how much more explanation is expected.