Laura 's Reviews > The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

F 50x66
Aug 18, 12

Read in August, 2012

This debut novel from Karen Thompson Walker is beautifully written and quietly tragic. It is both the dystopian tale of what happens when the Earth's rotation slows and is also a young girl's coming of age tale. It seemed particularly relevant to me as my youngest son marches off to 6th grade in a few weeks, as Thompson painfully recalls what it is like to be at this in-between time of life. She ends the book in a realistic and hopeful way that made my heart hurt when I finished the last page.

Favorite Quote:
"This was middle school, the age of miracles, the time when kids shot up three inches over the summer, when breasts bloomed from nothing, when voices dipped and dove. Our first flaws were emerging, but they were being corrected. Blurry vision could be fixed invisibly with the magic of the contact lens. Crooked teeth were pulled straight with braces. Spotty skin could be chemically cleared. Some girls were turning invisible. A few boys were growing tall. I knew I still looked like a child."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Miracles.