Joe's Reviews > The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh

Sep 07, 2012

bookshelves: recommended
Recommended to Joe by: Pia
Read from August 20 to September 07, 2012

What a treat rereading these stories. I hadn't remembered much about the actual stories - just my kids giggling and asking questions while I read the stories to them, like "why does he say 'bother' all the time?" But that was months ago - oh, wait...that was decades ago. Anyway, this time around, I was reading with a different perspective and purpose: who were these animals, as people(!), and what was this little universe all about? Need to know so Tao of Pooh will make some sense when I get to that book soon.

I think I have some answers to these questions. Christopher Robin exists in a world that Milne created around his (real world) son, and the 100 Acre Wood is the play-land that exists in CR's mind. Cool. The animals' personalities are very much from the real world. This is one of the more fascinating aspects of this book. The worst of human qualities (at times), as well as the best. Pooh: compulsive snacker; blame-shifter; gifted poet; small brain; huge heart. Rabbit: xenophobic schemer; smart-ass know-it-all; good heart in the end. Piglet: cowardly wuss; hero in the end. Kanga: aloof; conceited; phenomenal mother. Eeyore: doom-and-gloom; passive aggressive; victim; good heart. Owl: accepts his reputation for wisdom, but knows he's not that smart; good heart.

Parts I really enjoyed include these:

"Piglet Meets a Heffalump" is hilarious! Piglet and Pooh invent this thing out of thin air, then convince themselves they can catch one in a trap. Page 57 is falling-down funny.

Pooh's friendship with Rabbit is the sort of friendship we all would like to have. One passage (pg. 222) goes like this: "I like talking to Rabbit...I ought to go and see Rabbit..." Then he breaks out in verse:

Oh, I like his way of talking,
Yes, I do.
It's the nicest way of talking
Just for two.
And a Help-yourself with Rabbit
Though it may become a habit,
Is a pleasant sort of habit
For a Pooh.

From "Christopher Robin Gives Pooh a Party": how about this for imagery and setting a mood:

"One day when the sun had come back over the Forest, bringing with it the scent of May, and all the streams of the Forest were tinkling happily to find themselves their own pretty shape again, and the little pools lay dreaming of the life they had seen and the big things they had done, and in the warmth and quiet of the Forest the cuckoo was trying over his voice carefully and listening to see if he liked it, and wood-pigeons were complaining gently to themselves in their lazy comfortable way that it was the other fellow's fault, but it didn't matter very much; on such a day as this Christopher Robin whistled in a special way ..."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh.

06/20 marked as: read