David's Reviews > Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky: A London Trilogy

Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky by Patrick Hamilton

Jan 07, 09

bookshelves: own-but-not-yet-read

The author of "Gaslight".

“Patrick Hamilton is being revived again. And it looks serious this time… JB Priestley was an early supporter. Hamilton's book The West Pier was generously described by Graham Greene as "the best novel ever written about Brighton". He was John Betjeman's favourite contemporary novelist. Writers from Julie Burchill to Doris Lessing are warm admirers. Biographer Michael Holroyd has written numerous essays and introductions. Nick Hornby recently described him as 'my new best friend'.” —The Independent [UK]

“I've gone Patrick Hamilton crazy. I was blown away by the superbly excruciating Twenty Thousand Streets Under The Sky , and I'm going to track down some of his out-of-print novels. He writes brilliantly about infatuation and drunkenness - two subjects close to my heart.” –Dan Rhodes, The Observer [UK]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica One could just read NYRB classics and be all set, no?

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David Absolutely!

message 3: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark I also stumbled across Hamilton based on someone's recommendation and read "Hangover Square." I remember thinking that it was absolutely gripping to me, despite the fact that the characters were universally unlikable, unless you could get into pitying the main character, and of course, everyone drank like fishes. And yet, despite this thinnest of plots and even in spite of a grim ending, it has stayed with me so strongly.