Alea's Reviews > The Teashop Girls

The Teashop Girls by Laura Schaefer

Dec 21, 08

bookshelves: read-for-review
Read in December, 2008

I adored this book! It definitely soared above my expectations! It was sweet and warm and just all things good!

The book centers around Annie and her beloved Steeping Leaf that her grandmother owns. She loves the Steeping Leaf so much she wants to get her very first job there, and it doesn't hurt that a cute older boy named Jonathan also works there! Her initial meeting with Jonathan is too funny! Everything is going well until one day the power goes out and Annie finds out that her grandmother has been having problems paying all her bills. Annie and her friends become determined to save the Steeping Leaf!

One of my favorite things about this book is all the old tea leaf ads and recipes. When Annie was younger she and her friends started a scrapbook of all things tea and these are clippings from it! The book is also full of beautiful watercolor illustrations. These just add to the experience of an already great book!

I had assumed it would be alternating perspectives based on what I read in the synopsis but that wasn't the case and it did not matter at all. Through Annie's voice we definitely also get a sense of her family and friends, Geena and Zoe. The cast of secondary characters were great. I especially loved the "very annoying" Zach!

I really hope this is just the beginning of the Teashop Girls adventures and that there are more books to come! Fingers crossed! This book has definitely peaked my interest in tea and I definitely hope to try a variety of teas in the near future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Teashop Girls.